Wednesday, April 29, 2009
White Trash
Okay, all my life my 'peers' have called me white! I am speaking of my African-American friends. I knew that having parents from the East Coast & being raised with some of those traditions were different as I got older & they kept calling me white. It made me investigate why they said i was "white?" I realized it was because we were from different parts of the world but, not really?! My parents were around during Civil Rights, they knew much more than me & my peers what it was like to be a slave!? I just didn't get it! Derrick says I'm white because my brother's name is Scott & I'm from Woodbury. Waseme calls me a 'white girl' because I call it a slotted spoon & a lectern instead of 'the spoon wit the holes in it' or the podium!? I think Bennie calls me white because we were raised very different, I was allowed to cuss around my parents while he would get the 'Vietnam' treatment (when you are punished by kneeling down into uncooked rice on the kitchen floor & putting your hands on top of your head) for thinking about it!! LOL!!! Huhn!? Let me explain something before i make my point. I am an inquisitive person just as i was as a little girl, now, whenever I would ask my father what a particular word meant, he'd say, "Look it up Boop!" or, "Go get the dictionary!" I learned at a young age how to USE MY RESOURCES! I quit asking him for definitions quickly in order not to be yelled at for doing so. Now, #2 I naturally have a VERY GOOD, PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY. So, at my young age, the dictionary became my favorite book! I know, it sucks right!?! Hey, what did you do as a kid!? Anyway!?!? So, the people who I went to school with I'm sure will tell you I was smart but, those closest to me, may tell you I'm a white girl! Now, as I got older and began working, my 'peers' those African-Americans again, labeled me as ghetto! Now, that didn't bother me at all either because no one can ever define who I am but, I am who I am & I make no apologies. I believe they called me this because I am loud, obnoxious(actually I'll refer to it as curt), HORRIBLY BRUTALLY HONEST & I am going to do whatever I want! I don't care if you don't like it! Ask my co-workers about that time I wore a prom skirt to work..I did it cuz I thought it was HOOOOOOT! Not cuz i gave a hell what they thought of it but, because I wanted to! I got some pretty THICK skin so, it takes a lot to offend me! Anyhoooo!!! At this point, I'm confused! They say I'm white, They say I'm ghetto! Which is it? So, that's when I realized I must be "White Trash!!!" I mean, aren't the 'ghetto' white people referred to as, White Trash!?? Maybe I'm wrong but, I'm wearing it like a badge cuz as i said before, I really don't care what anyone thinks..When I'm ridin' around in Bennie's 'rice rocket' bumpin' my music, I don't turn it down cuz i'm slamming rap music that may be offensive to others, but because I know that PEOPLE will always have a preconceived notion about me ANYWAY so, I PUSH! So, today, I happened to be making pork chops & applesauce and Derrick, Waseme & Bennie always make fun of that but, that's what we ate wit ours so, i asked my facebook family what did they think?!?! Amazingly, almost ALL the Black people said, "ghetto pass revoked, gravy or nothing!" And almost ALL the white people said "hell yeah!" As I read each response I'm laughing out loud cuz i know some of you had to be like what difference does it make!? So, thank u facebook family for assisting me with my blind study. Now, at the end of the day, Bennie, Waseme & Derrick are gonna keep calling me 'white,' or 'whitegirl' and my peers are gonna continue to say I'm 'ghetto' while, Imma use my own term which is 'White Trash!'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment